Tuesday 2 July 2013

Top Ten Most Intimidating Books

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week the topic is about books that I find intimidating.  I find that it's not always size of a book that's intimidating, (although in most instances that is the main reason I defer reading certain books!) but genre, language or complex themes covered.  
 
Books That Intimidate Me
 
1. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
The ultimate intimidator!

2. Outlander Series - Diana G
 I've seen so much love for this series I'm scared to start it! 
 
3. Ulysses - James Joyce
I attempted to read Ulysses at Uni but then I had to abandon my quest once I started my dissertation.  Since then I can't seem to put aside enough time to be able to even attempt another go at reading this massive stream of consciousness.
 
4.The Stand - Stephen King
Have you seen the size of The Stand?!  I'm sure my upper body strength would improve after reading Stephen King's hefty tome...
 
5. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
 I've seen a lot of negative reviews since I purchased American Gods, and this has somewhat put me off reading it.

Books That Once Intimidated Me

6. Life of Pi - Yann Mattel
I had no interest in reading Life Of Pi at all when I was younger, as I used to think that all Booker Prize winners were just for the literati.  Then I saw the movie and I just knew that I had to read the book.   
7. The Passage - Justin Cronin
There was so much hype surrounding The Passage when it was first release.  Too much for me in fact, as I backed away from reading Justin Cronin's epic vampire tale for over a year.  Not a small book by any means, it took me a while to be convinced that this was worth sticking with for 600+ pages.  Trust me, it is.
 
8. Zoo City - Lauren Beukes
I get it in my head that I'm too stupid for SF.  Then when I actually read it, I'm all like, hey I understood that and enjoyed it too!
 
9. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Again, I always felt that I'm too much of an idiot to read classic Russian literature.  I may not have understood all of the farming chapters and some of the political parts, but I still enjoyed reading Anna Karenina very much.
 
10. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
Reading Cloud Atlas was hard work, but very rewarding.


What books intimidate you?

9 comments:

  1. Anna Karenina is on my list too! For what it's worth, American God's is one of my favorite all time books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good to hear that someone likes it! :)

      Delete
  2. I am so proud of myself for reading The Stand, that sucker is HUGE!

    OUTLANDERRRRRRRR!!!!!

    *scampers away*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you! I keep seeing different versions and I swear King makes them bigger just to be evil!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the Outlander series, although I must admit it got a little tired/repetitive after probably the third or fourth one. But they're good fun, nicely researched, well-told. Give it a shot. :)

    Here's my TTT for the week. Happy 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Good to hear about Outlander, am thinking of trying it out sometime this summer. :)

      Delete
    2. It's a good summer reading series. Hope you like it!

      Delete