Tuesday 11 June 2013

Top Ten Beach Reads

I've been away, and didn't prep any ahead of time, so I've missed the past two TTTs hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  This week I'm ready to tackle and share my top ten beach reads!  Admittedly I'm not really a beach person as fair skin and sun never mix well.  Plus I don't really have a single type of book that I normally take away with me.  My only criteria for holiday reads are that they have to be in paperback, and they have to be something that I can read it either in a couple of days without my brain turning to mush from overwork.
 
1.  The Dead - Howard Linskey
 If you like crime, but not too much violence, Howard Linskey's The Dead is a good mob-boss thriller.
 
2. John Scalzi - Red Shirts
 Really funny! I took this on holiday with me last month and it kept me amused while Matt was swimming in the sea.
 
3.  John Dies at the End - David Wong
 If you like your holiday reads crazy...
 
4. Any Tess Gerritsen Book
 I think I said it before, but I find Gerritsen books extremely easy to read and very engaging.  Great if you don't want to stress out your brain too much, but keep it ticking over with her cleverly plotted crime thrillers.
 
5. Blood Red Road - Moira Young
 Fantastic YA Dystopian.  Although you may want to pack the sequel...
 
6. The Book of Summers - Emylia Hall
 This was a lovely read mostly set in rural Hungary.  Hall's prose is extremely evocative, so if you're holidaying in a place where the weather isn't great, this is sure to take your imagination to warmer climes. 
 
7. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Be warned, you may loose a few days of your holiday while reading this...
 
 8. 'Salems's Lot - Stephen King
 Fun Fact: I read this on a beach in Corfu and a wooden stake washed up beside me!
 
9. Emma - Jane Austen
I read this in Cyprus.  For some reason, I find it a lot easier to read classics while on holiday.  Maybe because there are zero distractions? 
 
10. Bossypants - Tina Fey
Although if you're on a cruise, skip the bit about her honeymoon! 
 
 
Not long after finishing I realised that I could have totally cheated this week.  I live about a 10min walk from the beach...a pebble and grey sea beach, but a beach nonetheless!  I could have just done a top 10 of what I normally read! 
 
What beach reads would you recommend?
 

18 comments:

  1. Book of Summers sounds lovely. Great list. Thank you!

    Here's my list of Best Beach Reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Book of Summers certainly is a lovely book!

      Delete
  2. Book of Summers looks like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Not the sort of book I'd normally go for, so was a complete surprise that I loved it as much as I did!

      Delete
  3. Great list! I just love Emma so much:)

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too...the book not myself! Ha! :)

      Delete
  4. Blood Red Road - NICE! Saba is SO COOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Can't wait for the third book. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Interesting list! I haven't read any of these, but love how diverse your choices were. And um... washed up wooden stake? I'm not sure how I feel about that lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't sure how I felt at the time either...laugh it off, or make sure I found some garlic to string around our hotel room!

      Delete
  6. Love that you have King on here. He is perfect for anytime of the year. I am listening to Under the Dome right now. Love that a stake washed up next to you when reading Salem's Lot! I also love Ready Player One and Blood Red Road!!! Ready Player One is an amazing book!

    Angie
    My Top Ten Pool Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, how is that so far? I'm always so indecisive when it comes to which King novel I should attempt next as there are so many to choose from!

      Completely agree with you about Ready Player One, too. I want to re-read it, but have loaned my copy to a friend as I wanted to share it with everyone I knew!

      Delete
  7. Redshirts is on my list too! It's such a funny book, and totally perfect for the beach.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I felt I was using my brain without noticing, which is exactly what I want from a beach read.

      Delete
  8. I love Redshirts! Between that, Stephen King, and Jane Austen, I think you've got a perfect summer of reading lined up right here! Terrific list.

    Lisa
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeeeea Bossypants! Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling would be a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting for that to come out over here in the U.K for ages! Will have to pester the library to order in a copy!

      Delete