Monday 8 April 2013

Insurgent

Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family.  But she has paid a terrible price.  Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.
Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever...because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.

Veronica Roth's Insurgent was easy to read, but it is so cheesy in places.  Roth's dialogue could definitely benefit from some reworking, as the melodramatic exclamations always distract me to a point where I have to read them out loud in a silly voice. 

The follow up to Divergent has plot twists you could see a mile  away.  In spite of this I still enjoyed reading Insurgent.  Maybe this is due to  there being actual danger; this isn't an everyone lives type of series, with Roth killing off characters as fast as she's introducing them.

Protagonist Tris is hard to like, but isn't that the point?  Isn't she supposed to be the anti-YA heroine?  Her flawed, non-perfect, personality was the reason I enjoyed Divergent.  The problem here is that she has descended in Saba levels of guilt over her actions in the first book.  There is a lot of moaning, and having recently read Rebel Heart I'm a little sick of it.  Yes you killed Will.  You had to.  Get over it.  I have.  However, Roth manages to save Tris in the final half of Insurgent, proving that her protagonist isn't a complete drip when she calls Four out on his ever changing views of her. 

The ending was great, pushing the narrative in a different direction for the third, and final, book in the trilogy.  What lies beyond the fractions?  We will all have to wait until November to find out.

Just a note: I despise the U.K cover artwork.  I know, I know, someone probably worked really hard on them.  However, to my eyes, it's a pointless design that has nothing to do with the story and it results in a cheap aesthetic.  While the American covers aren't the most amazing pieces of design in the world either (if I ever get a book published, my dream is to have Joey Hi-Fi design my cover...) at least they are better than shadows and random leaves on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment