Monday 28 May 2012

The Week Ahead 27/05 - 02/06

Plenty of sunshine about this week, so I'm going to attempt to get a lot of reading done outdoors.  Now that I've typed that the rain clouds will probably approach!

First up is S.J Watson's Before I Go To Sleep.  We've had this on our shelf for a couple of months now, after hearing plenty of good things through various media outlets, and I'm (hopefully) attending an author Q+A in Norwich this week so this book is on the top of my list to be read this week.  I'm currently a hundred pages in and it is definitely an intriguing read.

Memories define us.
So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?
Your Name, your identity, you past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight.
And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.


Next is The Troupe.  There was a single thought when I ordered this: I hope there's going to be some Hell Train-esque antics.

Vaudeville: Mad, mercenary, dreamy, and absurd, a world of clashing cultures and ferocious showmanship and wickedly delightful deceptions.
'You're wrong, kid.  I am just a performer.  I'm just putting on a show you haven't seen before.' - Silenus

Sixteen-year-old pianist George Carole has joined vaudeville for one reason only: to find the man he suspects to be his father, the great Heironomo Silenus.  Yet as he chases down his father's troupe, he begins to understand that their performances are strange, even for vaudeville.
For there is an ancient and dangerous secret within Silenus's show.  And it's not until after he joins them that George realises the troupe is not simply touring - they are running for their very lives.

And Finally, Intrusion.  I spotted this in Norwich Waterstone's, which always seems to have good selection, and, if I'm honest, the cover alone is the reason I picked it up as I found it is really striking.  It fits in with my Sci Fi craving

Imagine a near-future London where advances in medical science have led to the development of a single-dose pill which, taken when pregnant, eradicates many common genetic defects from an unborn baby.
Hope Morrison, mother of a hyperactive four-year-old, is expecting her second child.  She refuses to take The Fix, as the pill is known.  Her refusal divides her family and friends and puts her and her husband in danger of imprisonment or worse.
Is Hope's decision a private matter of individual choice, or is it tantamount to wilful neglect of her unborn child?



Enoy the sun while it lasts and happy reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment